Saturday, June 11, 2016

Triple Berry Syrup - A Berry Nice Canning Project

Triple Berry Syrup is the Best!

Berries - Image Courtesy  Bonnie Henderson
Morguefile.com
Berries make the best jams and syrups. I was craving a berry syrup I used to find at a local diner in Florida and decided to make my own. The recipe is simple and is similar to the Strawberry Jam recipe I have been using for years. I just substituted the measured berries in place of the all strawberry mix and tada!! Triple Berry Syrup...


This delicious concoction took about 3 hours from prep to finished processing. The stirring was the hardest part of the production. The canning process was as easy as boiling water.


Freeze Berries in Advance

I had already set aside frozen berry mash I saved from packages I bought at the store. I could not use all the berries: raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries so I popped them in the blender and made ice blocks to save them for later. After the liquid turned solid I pulled the ice block out and set it aside in the freezer until I had enough to create a preserving project. Melt the ice berry blocks ahead of time in the refrigerator or drop them in a stock pot. 

Nutritional facts - berries

Nutritional information: 
Berries are all similar in nutritional levels. They are very low in fat and high in vitamin C. The helpful elements of iron and calcium are present and they contain a  few grams of fiber.

Ingredients:


4 quarts berry mash
4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon butter

The syrup does not need to gel so pectin is not necessary.


                                Instructional Video for Triple Berry Syrup 




Before You Begin Any Canning Project


Set up an area where you can place hot jars after they are finished The area needs to be able to handle the heat of the jars and be in a spot that you can leave your project overnight. DO NOT place hot jars on finished wood surfaces or metal directly. I suggest using a piece of unfinished wood OR several layers of toweling under the jars. Place a towel folded in half under the jars first then lay another one over the top. If you have a jar explode it will not blow pieces everywhere.

Do not disturb the jars once they are placed. They will cool eventually.
24 hours is the rule for all preserves.

Canning Equipment

You will need several pieces of equipment for this process. A water bath canner is optional. You may just fill the jars if you like and turn them upside down. My sister and mother do this with most of their jams and jellies. I prefer to do the entire water bath procedure. It saves me the anxiety of wondering if my product is well preserved. I know that if I do things the right way, trouble tends to stay away. Food sanitation is an extremely important part of being a successful canning enthusiast. I sterilize everything after washing in hot, soapy water and rinse. Every step taken in safe, sanitation is a move into healthy food consumption. If all the bacteria is deleted ahead of time the chances of them getting into the foods are minimal. 

Waterbath Canner
Fill the canner in advance and set it on medium-high heat. It will be hot enough when you get your preparations finished. After the product is ready to be placed in jars, crank the heat on the canner to high so that the temperature will be right when your jars are ready. Reduce heat back to medium high again when the canner is ready to be filled. Always be cautious about steam. In a split second, the vapor can cause a painful injury. Open the lid AWAY from you always.

Be sure to have a small pot of hot water waiting for lids. The rubber seals soften and adhere easier when they are heated up. Set the lids in this pot when you start filling the jars. The lid will be ready when you are.  

 Canning Equipment
Canning Equipment is a helpful set of tools. The jar and lid lifters save a few burning fingers and fussing with a set of tongs.  The jar lifters are life savers. I love the coating that helps the jar stay put. There are no dropping jellies with this tool! The lid grabber holds a lid steady while the ring is placed and its magnetic end stands ready for the next lid. 

The leveler helps see an exact fill line and the reverse side is great for sliding down the interior wall and removing bubbles.

Last but not least, the jar funnel directs hot liquids where they belong, in the container and not on surfaces. I always place my jars in a bowl as I fill them. This helps keep spills in a place I can easily clean and...taste. 

As jars are filled, leave them on the stove top so they are at a stable heat temperature before placing int he water bath canner. 

Enjoy your syrup! =)









No comments:

Post a Comment